17/03/2021 0 Comments
Things to Consider When Hiring a Lawyer
Kamloops lawyers at Martin & Martin Lawyers are passionate about the law and pride ourselves on providing trustworthy legal services to our clients. From our Kamloops law firm, we assist clients throughout the Interior, fighting for their rights, protecting their interests, and securing the best results. If you attempt to deal with legal matters on your own, it can be highly stressful, complicated, and intimidating. Having the right lawyer on your side can make all the difference to managing the complex legal process and getting the resolution you need. But how do you know when you’ve found the “right” lawyer? Here are some factors to consider when hiring a lawyer.
Kamloops law firm on things to consider when hiring a lawyer
- Consider your legal issue. Do you need to make a personal injury claim? Are you considering estate planning? Do you need help with a real estate transaction? Are you going through a separation or divorce and want advice on family law issues like child custody, division of property, and spousal support? You want to hire a lawyer who has strong experience and understanding of the specific legal matter you are dealing with.
- Consider referrals, recommendations, and your own research. Ask friends, family members, coworkers and business associates for referrals and recommendations. Check online resources including the law society’s website and the lawyer’s own website to gather information. You should be able to get an impression of a potential lawyer’s expertise and their approach to the practice of law from their website. Use the data you collect to narrow down your list of potential lawyers for your case.
- Consider your first impression of the lawyer and their law firm.
Kamloops-based Martin & Martin Lawyers focuses on providing top client service. How do you know if a firm is client-focused? Once you have narrowed the field using the two steps above, contact each of the potential lawyers on your list. Are you treated with courtesy and respect by the lawyer and their law firm staff? Does the lawyer respond to your call or email in a timely manner? First impressions are extremely important, as they will tell you a lot about what it will be like to work with that particular lawyer and their staff.
- Consider your impression after your initial consultation with the lawyer.
Many lawyers offer a free initial consultation, either on the phone or in person, which is an excellent opportunity for you and the lawyer to discuss your legal issue and the lawyer’s view of the legal options that are available to you. Do not be afraid to shop around. You are not obligated to hire a lawyer after the initial consultation. Your legal matters are important so you should take the time to find the lawyer you trust, who you are comfortable working with, and who will best serve your needs.
- Consider what you can afford and ask about the lawyer’s fee structure. When you meet with the lawyer, ask them to provide you with an estimate of the amount of time and money it will take to resolve your legal issue, and then ask them what options are available to you, such as a contingency fee arrangement (no recovery – no fee), hourly rate, or a flat fee. Find out if the lawyer requires a retainer (i.e. payment upfront) and discuss who will carry the costs associated with your file until your matter is resolved (these costs are known as disbursements). For example, if you have a personal injury claim, our Kamloops law firm will cover the disbursements in your claim such as the costs of independent medical assessments to the settlement or conclusion of your trial, and you do not pay legal fees to us unless and until you are compensated.
Call today to talk to our team of reliable Kamloops lawyers
Our Kamloops law firm can HELP! Call Martin & Martin Lawyers TODAY for a BETTER TOMORROW! Book your free initial consultation online now or call Martin & Martin Lawyers today at 250-828-6175 to learn more about how we can assist you.